Department of Health & Human Services
Premiers Active April
The Victorian Government has today opened registrations for the 11th annual Premier’s Active April, encouraging Victorians of all ages, abilities and fitness levels to exercise 30 minutes a day during April.
AFL Western Bulldogs player, Liam Picken, and wife Annie Nolan were onsite at Lakeside Stadium in Albert Park to officially launch registrations for the healthy lifestyle program, while also urging Victorian parents to step it up on the sidelines at kids’ sporting matches in 2019.
“Liam and I are really excited to be back on board as Active April Ambassadors for a second year,” Annie said. “As parents to three young kids, we’re always looking for ways to get active as a family.
“In our roles as Active April Ambassadors in 2019, we’re calling on Victoria’s biggest role models – mums and dads across the state – to kickstart some healthier habits.
“Between the kids’ AusKick, cricket training, swimming lessons and dancing, there’s little opportunity for Victorian parents to make time for their own exercise. So, this year, we’re calling on parents to find ways to step it up on the sidelines to find a routine to suit your lifestyle.”
A record 124,913 Victorians signed up to get active in 2018, including more than 2,000 families taking the pledge as a team.
This year, Minister for Tourism, Sport and Major Events Martin Pakula is challenging Victorians to step it up and break that record to retain our title of the nation’s most active state.
“By participating in Premier’s Active April, Victorians of all ages can improve their health and wellbeing as well as develop long-lasting healthy habits,” Minister Pakula said.
“The campaign is a great opportunity to discover moments of incidental exercise in our daily routines, whether making the most of time on the sidelines or getting off the bus, tram or train a stop early to walk the rest of the way.”
New in 2019, participants will have access to the ‘Get Active Workouts’ video series, free to all registered participants via the mobile or web app. The series of 30 videos demonstrate 30 different 10-minute workout ideas designed to inspire and motivate participants of all ages and abilities.
People can sign up as an individual or can get friends, family, school or work colleagues together to form a team. Last year saw more than 5,000 teams join and motivate each other to stay active.
Registration for Active April is free, and everyone who signs up will have the opportunity to receive complimentary access to a local gym or club, as well as a host of fitness freebies and incentives including:
• 10 free passes at your local YMCA or access to a local government recreation facility
• 30% discount at SEA LIFE Melbourne Aquarium and LEGOLAND Discovery Centre Melbourne
• One 2 for 1 ticket offer for Otway Fly Treetop Adventures
• 10% discount at Sovereign Hill
• 15% discount at Sportsmart in store and online
• Discounted experiences at participating Parks Victoria locations
• 15% discount for a Coasting: Stand Up Paddleboarding session
• 15% off Rock Up Netball Train and Youth Programs
• 20% discount for Netball Victoria community clinics
• One 2 for 1 green fee offer at participating Golf Victoria courses
• 10% discount on term 2 My Golf Junior Programs
• Five free group dance lessons at a participating DanceSport Victoria centre
• One free Cardio Tennis trial at participating Tennis Victoria courts
• One-hour free tennis court hire at Melbourne Park or Albert Reserve
• Entry into a draw to win finals tickets to the 2020 Australian Open tennis.
Other high-profile Victorians supporting the campaign this year include AFLW stars Katie Brennan and Darcy Vescio, netballer Kate Moloney, Paralympian Jess Gallagher, and news personality and Active April legend Peter Hitchener.
Last updated: March 5, 2019 at: 3:15 pm
© Department of Health & Human services, State Government of Victoria
Privacy Statement: https://www.activeapril.vic.gov.au/privacy-policy/
Copyright & Disclaimer Notice: https://www.activeapril.vic.gov.au/copyright-disclaimer/