Mexican Rice Bowl with Yoghurt Guacamole
The perfect dish when you’re in the mood to try something different. With so many flavours who could resist!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 1 long red chilli (seeds removed, finely diced)
- 1 red capsicum (roughly diced)
- 1 red onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 tbsp (metric) water
- 1 cup basmati rice (uncooked)
- 500 mg vegetable stock (salt reduced)
- 1 tbsp (metric) ground cumin
- 2 tsp (metric) ground paprika
- 1 tsp (metric) dried chilli powder
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander (chopped)
- 400 gram can crushed tomatoes
- 400 gram can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tbsp (metric) tomato (roughly diced)
- 2 spring onion (chopped)
- juice of 1 fresh lime
- 1 avocado (mashed)
- 200 grams Greek yoghurt (reduced fat)
- 1 tbsp (metric) fresh coriander leaves (chopped)
- Place the chilli, capsicum, onion, garlic and water in a vegetable steamer and cook in the microwave for 1 minute with the lid off.
- Add rice, vegetable stock, cumin, paprika and chilli powder and mix well. Microwave according to the rice packet instructions with lid off for about 15 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, make the guacamole in a small bowl by combining the lime juice, avocado, Greek yoghurt and 1 tablespoon of the coriander. Mix well and set aside.
- Add crushed tomatoes, beans and the fresh tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes with the lid on.
- Stir through the remaining coriander and spring onion. Divide among 4 bowls to serve and top with the guacamole.
To store leftovers in the fridge or freezer.
Each serve of this recipe provides (minimum):
- 2.5 serves of vegetables
- 0.25 serves of milk/yoghurt/cheese
- 0.75 serve of lean meat/alternative
- 1.5 serves of grain foods
For more delicious and healthy recipes for you and your family, visit the Nutrition Australia website.
Source: Nutrition Australia