Recipe of the Week: Grilled Pumpkin, Asparagus & Chicken Salad
Impress your friends and family with this simple summer recipe. Grilling the pumpkin brings out a natural sweetness, while the asparagus provides flavour with crunch.
You could make larger batches by slicing the chicken breast and allowing guests to serve themselves, or plate it up for the family as a main warm salad.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Olive or canola oil spray
- 8 chicken tenderloins
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 bunches asparagus, ends trimmed
- 450g japanese, kent or butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into 5mm thick slices
- 420g can of no-added-salt brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 150g baby spinach or mixed leaves
- 250g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- Spray a barbecue, char-grill or griddle with oil, pre-heat to medium-high.
- Place chicken in a small dish with ½ the crushed garlic and lemon juice; stir to coat and set aside to marinate.
- Place asparagus on heated grill and cook for 7 minutes or until lightly charred, turning occasionally. Remove from grill, cut into 5cm pieces then set aside.
- Respray grill and cook pumpkin in batches for 2-3 minutes each side until charred and just tender. Remove from heat, cut into 3cm triangles and set aside.
- Respray grill and cook chicken for 2-3 minutes each side until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine lentils, remaining ½ clove crushed garlic and balsamic.
- To serve, divide spinach or salad leaves, tomatoes, lentils with dressing, asparagus and pumpkin among serving plates.
- Sprinkle with parsley then top with chicken; serve immediately.
Tip: cover dish, refrigerate and marinate chicken for as long as time permits, from 30 minutes to overnight.
- Add other chargrilled vegetables such as green beans, broccollini, cauliflower, zucchini, eggplant, capsicum or sweet potato
- Include other vegies such as sliced red capsicum, cucumber, radish, red onion or semi-sundried tomatoes
- Replace lentils with drained no-added-salt cannellini beans, butter beans, chickpeas or four bean mix
Recipe supplied by LiveLighter. For details about nutritional information visit the LiveLighter website.
Recipe selected by Nutrition Australia Victorian Division. For more healthy recipes visit Nutrition Australia. Recipe, image and nutrition information reproduced with permission from LiveLighter.