Red Kidney Bean Burrito
Swap your usual meat filling in your burrito for delicious, nutritious and protein filled beans!
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 2 corn cobs (husks removed)
- 1 tsp (metric) extra virgin olive oil
- 800 grams canned kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 tsp (metric) smoked paprika
- 4 ripe roma tomatoes (diced)
- 1 tsp (metric) tabasco sauce
- 1/2 red onion (very finely diced)
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped coriander leaves
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tsp (metric) lemon juice
- 4 jumbo tortilla wraps (preferably whole grain)
- 40 grams grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded iceberg or butter lettuce
- lime wedges (to serve)
- Preheat a grill pan until hot, place corn cobs on pan and cook for 10 minutes, turning every few minutes until starting to char all over. Allow to cool slightly and slice off kernels.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add kidney beans, paprika and corn kernels and stir gently until warmed through.
- Place a tortilla on the warm grill pan and sprinkle a little cheese on the tortilla, cook until it melts or grill marks appear on the underside of the tortilla. Repeat.
- For tomato salsa, combine tomatoes, tabasco, onion and coriander.
- For guacamole, mash avocado with lemon juice until smooth.
- Assemble tortillas, spread a little guacamole on each tortilla and top with kidney bean mix and lettuce. Serve tomato salsa on the side.
Each serve of this recipe provides (minimum):
- 2.5 serves of vegetables
- 1 serve of grain foods
- 1 serve lean meat/alternatives (approx.)
Recipe selected by Nutrition Australia. For more delicious and healthy recipes for you and your family, visit the Nutrition Australia website.
Source: Grains & Legumes Nutrition Council
Last updated: March 1, 2017 at: 5:48 pm
© Department of Health & Human services, State Government of Victoria
Privacy Statement: https://www.activeapril.vic.gov.au/privacy-policy/
Copyright & Disclaimer Notice: https://www.activeapril.vic.gov.au/copyright-disclaimer/